Wednesday, September 12, 2007

L' Shana Tovah

Fruited Honey Cake from Fred's Bakery

L' Shana Tovah means Happy New Year in Hebrew. Today at sundown begins the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashonah. It's traditional to eat sweet food for the celebration to insure that you will have a sweet, successful and happy new year. Apples and honey are a favorite. I picked up a delicious honey cake at Fred's Bakery in Beverlywood this morning on my way to the office to share with my co-workers. Fred had the traditional plain honey cake, ones with nuts and then a surprising one with fruit. It was gobbled up quickly....I barely had time to take a photo!
In other news:
The Harlot is coming! The Harlot is coming!
We're all gearing up for the Yarn Harlot's visit to Los Angeles. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee will be speaking at the Central Los Angeles Public Library, Downtown this coming Saturday, September 15th at 2pm. The event is free, but you must have a reservation. For info, check here.

My BFF, Chick-in-the-Know and High Priestess of Hip, Madgik, clued me in to the fact that Stephanie collects state dishcloths on her speaking engagements around the country. Hmm? What type of dishcloth could I crochet or knit for The Harlot that would say "California"? An orange, of course!!! I whipped up a crocheted orange slice dishcloth. Then, I found some old orange crate labels online to use as a background for my giftcard. Thanks for the idea, Madge.

Orange Slice Dishcloth

I was very excited and honored to be asked to introduce Stephanie by the Library Foundation of Los Angeles (thanks, Jeff and Audrey)!
One more reminder for attendees to the Yarn Harlot's lecture on Saturday: When I introduce myself and say, "Hi, my name is Ellen and I'm a yarn-a-holic," I'll need you ALL to yell out, "Hi Ellen!" OK? Thanks and Happy New Year!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 12:13 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Happy New Year, Ellen!

And my stars, I love your dishcloth. Perfect for the Harlot. See you Saturday!

 
At 12:17 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful discloth, Ellen. Stephanie will love it. Please take lots of pictures, because I live vicariously through pics and blogs of those who have met and heard Yarn Harlot, since she never comes close enough for me to actually go to one of her events.:(

My name is Teresa and I'm a yarnoholic too. :)

 
At 3:16 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That dishcloth is so perfect!! You are totally getting your picture with your dishcloth on the yarn harlots blog, I just knot it!

 
At 3:23 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

L'Shana Tovah, Ellen!

I adore your dishcloth - so, so cute!

See you on Saturday...

 
At 3:43 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the compliments on the orange slice dishcloth everyone! I can't wait until Saturday!!!

 
At 4:06 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

HI ELLEN!!!!!
(a little too early for Saturday?)

*LOVE* the orange slice, seriously. You make it all look so easy.

 
At 9:50 PM PDT, Blogger Marsha said...

What fun for you!! I want to go but I've probably waited too late to RSVP and I'm not sure I want to make the trip from Bakersfield alone.

Hi, I'm Marsha! I'm a yarnstashaholic and fraidy cat too!!

Cute orange slice - very ellenbloomy!! And congrats to Mr. Larry's and your works being so well-received!

 
At 8:10 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen, so exciting. I left message last night at RSVP line. I assume I'm in, so I'll be seeing you there!

 
At 10:15 AM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Stupid Library. All full and not taking any more reservations. Don't they know I can't make up my mind more than a few days in advance?!

Hmmm. I'm thinking about maybe crashing the event. I mean really, it's not like they can keep me out of the library, can they?!

 
At 11:19 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monkeygurrrl!!!!!!!! I'm with you, let's crash! They told me "sorry" too...very arrogantly BTW. Kind of like "too bad for you".

 
At 8:20 PM PDT, Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Hi Ellen, I'm just popping by and leaving this link here for you - it's all fabulous crocheted stuff like toast with butter pat scarves. It looks like it's right up your alley! :-D

http://www.twinkiechan.com/TwinkieChan%20-%20Gallery.htm

"OH, toast with butter pat scarf!" I said to myself when I saw it. "I should send that link to Ellen Bloom!"

 
At 11:20 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks, Will Pillage For Yarn!
I have seen this great website but I misplaced the link! Thanks for finding it for me again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery