Monday, April 07, 2008

Bye For Now - Knit Cafe

So sad. Yesterday was the last day of business at the original location for the Knit Cafe. This was one of the first of the new wave of little yarn shops to emerge during the past decade's popularity in knitting and crochet. Suzan Mischer opened the Knit Cafe in 2002 on a sleepy stretch of Melrose Ave., just east of La Cienega. This neighborhood was home to interior designers, small antique shops and a few hairdressers. In recent years, many top American and European designers have moved into the area, raising the rents and popularizing this end of the trendy avenue.
I was hired to teach crochet at the the Knit Cafe after wandering in one day and talking to Suzan endlessly about yarn. The shop was designed and decorated beautifully with Suzan's unique style. Suzan always had the latest yarns in stock as well as an array of needles, hooks and accessories. The Knit Cafe was the cutting edge in yarn chic. Suzan wrote a popular knitting instruction book called "Greetings from Knit Cafe." More than anything, Knit Cafe was a place where knitters met and shared their skills. Many long-lasting friendships transpired at this wonderful little shop.

Suzan hopes to find another location in the West Hollywood area for relocation. Until that time, she will continue her online biz. Check the Knit Cafe Bulletin Board for updates.
On Saturday, Larry and I had breakfast with our friends, Audrey and Jeff. Aud and I coerced the guys to stop by the Knit Cafe on our way to an estate sale. Everything in the shop was 60% off! Of course, we managed to find a few items, say our goodbyes to some of the sales staff and snap a few shots of this beautiful shop. Bye-bye Knit Cafe. We look forward to your new location.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 11:55 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Ellen, I know just how you feel. Losing a local shop is like losing a friend. For your sake, I hope Knit Cafe finds another location soon.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 2:42 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so sad! I always visit there when I'm in SoCal. I do appreciate knowing that though; to avoid future disappointment!

 
At 5:57 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah well ..c'est la vie! ..it's a good thing there so many other wonderful knitting shops in Los Angeles and Studio City.

Deena

 
At 6:59 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Boo Hiss.
Hope to see you down the road soon Knit Cafe!

 
At 12:29 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Unfortunately, I never had the same experience as you at K.C., but I still find it sad that a well-loved shop is being out-priced by the market. It's like the housing market - we can't afford to live here, but we can't afford to commute, either. {{sigh}}

 
At 1:22 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

First Black Sheep, now Knit Cafe. Alas. Still, we're lucky here in SoCal to have so many other choices still open...am I making lemonade?

Best of luck to Suzun et.al. in finding a new home.

 
At 12:20 PM PDT, Blogger Kyle William said...

I'll tell you the same thing I told Suzan on Sunday - this isn't the "end" - it's just another beginning... evolution (of business, craft, life) is something we can not stop; -knowing that she has touched so many lives with her style and knowledge has to mean a lot... she's quite a great lady - I'm sad that I didn't get to spend more time at the store...

I'm watching and waiting to see what she does next... but I'm sad because my little pit stop on the way home has gone away :(

 
At 12:17 AM PDT, Blogger Breanne said...

I'm so disappointed, it was such a beautiful store. I hope Suzan finds another place soon.

 
At 9:05 PM PST, Blogger Verona said...

Did she ever found a new location for the yarn shop

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery