Friday, September 04, 2009

Savor the Summer

Brentwood, 1962
This is it! The end of summer. However, here in Los Angeles it will be summer weather for about three more months! I'm always kinda' sad on Labor Day weekend. At my office, we get to leave early (3pm) on Fridays between Memorial Day and Labor Day. This is the last Early Friday. The first Friday after Labor Day when we have to work a full day feels like punishment...kinda' like detention hall. I know, I know...I should be thankful that I even have a job! Believe me, I am!!
Above, little Ellen in her patriotic bathing suit at Uncle Mort's and Aunt Frances' pool on Westgate Avenue, Brentwood. Dig that lime green bathing cap! My three cousins, Amie, Barbie and Carol were so lucky to have a swimming pool in their backyard! I'm sure I spent most of the summer there, submerged.
About a year later, my Dad and Uncle got very interested in sailing small boats. Before Dad got a larger sailboat, we had a Snark. He won it from the Shell Gas Station down the street from his office. The Snark was made out of super strong styrofoam! Before Dad joined the Del Rey Yacht Club in Marina del Rey, we used to go sailing at Alamitos Bay in Long Beach and take vacations at Mission Bay in San Diego. Below, my brother, Ken and I turned the Snark over and gave each other rides. Unfortunately, the photos are rather blurry. My Dad took the snaps with his Minox Camera. This was a super small camera. The negatives were super small too, with very poor resolution. Eventually, spies were known to use these cameras because it was easy to conceal them. Dad wanted to be Agent 007.
Mission Bay, San Diego, 1963

Stretch this weekend out. Enjoy the sunshine, the beach, a family barbecue in the backyard, Labor Day sales at the Mall and maybe a movie in an air-conditioned theater.

More Vintage Photo Friday here.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:05 AM PDT, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

Yup, you look the same, just put some glasses on "little Ellen".

 
At 12:19 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww...you were so cute, Ellen. Looks like you had a fun-filled childhood.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 12:49 PM PDT, Anonymous donna said...

I'm loving the bathing cap. I think I wore one of those once upon a time!

 
At 6:37 PM PDT, Blogger Annette said...

Aw, great photos Ellen! Even the ones with the sailboat. The poor resolution adds character to the photo.

Hope you're having a great 'end of summer'!

 
At 9:49 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Ellen you are stinking cute in that bathing cap. I love that photo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery