Friday, March 11, 2011

Vintage Photo Friday

November, 1961. Defense Coordinator, Clifford R. Standing
shows preparedness necessities to Mrs. Harris and Mrs. Millard
in the San Fernando Valley, photo from LA Public Library archives
Are you prepared?
In light of the horrible earthquake in Japan yesterday, I decided to check out our earthquake preparedness kit at home today. I need to replace almost everything in the kit! Of course, if we experience a grand tsunami off Santa Monica beach, I don't think our kits will do us much good.
In the late 1950's and early 1960's people in Los Angeles were worried about an atomic bomb dropping. on our City. Many people were building fallout shelters. I only had one friend who's family had a shelter. Her parents were born in Germany and experienced many horrifying events, early in their lives. I suppose they wanted to be prepared this time. Most of the time, Carol and I just played with our dolls in the underground shelter!
Herald-Examiner, 1951
"Beautiful Mary Lou Miner suns herself atop a new West L.A. bomb shelter"


Just in case something catastrophic happens this weekend, I'd like to thank everyone for reading my blog and leaving such lovely comments! Have a safe weekend!

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 4:31 PM PST, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

Well you are one step ahead of me - no EQ kit! I certainly remember drop drills from our elementary school days here in Los Angeles. This photo is quite something. I love the way they place a beautiful woman with the image of war! Great find.

Hope to see you tomorrow.

 
At 12:55 PM PDT, Blogger Marsha said...

That photo reminds me of the movie "Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman" - love those old movies! We don't have an EQ kit but should. From everything we're hearing on the news, it looks like Alaska/Canada or us here in Cali could be in line for a big one as it's been about 400 years since a huge one hit the Vancouver area. I don't think their earthquake codes are half as stringent as ours and Japan's probably were twice as strict as ours. It's all so sad - all the loss of life. But our planet (and it's weather system) is in a constant state of flux. We just have to make the most of every day, right?!!

 
At 4:54 AM PDT, Blogger MomWaldsPlace said...

Bomb shelters were always more effective if you had a pretty girl on top. Or if you were a fellow, a pretty girl inside!

Sex sells bomb shelters? Why should I NOT be surprised.

I cannot imagine what is in an earthquake kit. In our tornado kits there are flashlights and foodstuffs. In a flood kit you could have an inflatable boat. What do you put in a kit in case your house falls down?

 
At 7:59 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hey Mom Wald! If your house falls down in an earthquake, chances are that everything around you in town has fallen down too. There may be no electricity, water source, warmth, etc. So, your earthquake survival kit should contain things that will help you survive if this happens. Elements can include water, food that can be prepared in the outdoors, blankets, batteries for transistor radios, flashlights....basically, camping gear!

 
At 11:06 AM PDT, Blogger belle said...

Thanks so much Ellen for helping to bring preparedness to everyone's attention. I love this blog and agree that an earthquake kit is sooo necessary. Recently I saw an earthquake simulator. They had furniture and things that were strapped down and things that were not. After seeing it simulate the movement of an earthquake it made me realize that getting earthquake straps is a very wise and inexpensive way to protect my family and friends. There are times when the quake is just large enough to move furniture, but not large enough to need supplies. I strongly encourage everyone to think of all things to protect your loved ones. Thanks for your good work with this blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery