Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Four Years Later

Sport Weight Acrylic Yarn

Four years ago I found this yarn shop, south of Little Tokyo, downtown L.A.  I don't think it's there anymore. The shop only sold acrylic yarn in all weights and colors. The thing is, you had to purchase a whole bag of 12 skeins of ONE color of yarn. You could not get a mixed bag. That's 12 skeins!  I ended up buying a bag of sport weight, olive green rayon yarn...12 skeins for $24. This is approximately 3,500 yards of yarn. Wow!

Interior, Mexican Thread and Yarn Co., 2011


I experimented with a few patterns for this yarn, but nothing was quite right. The yarn has been marinating for four years. I finally found a pattern I want to make with sport weight yarn. I'm crocheting the "Toasty Poncho" by Lili M. Chin. My poncho will not be "toasty." 

"Toasty Poncho" by Lili M. Chin

This is sport weight yarn, perfect for summer.  Also, the pattern says that all the stitches are treble crochets. I started the pattern and noticed how quickly it was moving along. Treble crochet stitches are long. After checking Ravelry and few other people who have made this pattern, one lady said that the pattern was written in U.K. terms. In the United Kingdom, a treble crochet stitch equals a double crochet stitch in United States terms. Oh well. I like the airy look of the treble crochet stitches, so I am going to continue in this manner.

I'm glad that I've finally found a use for this yarn!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 1:45 PM PDT, Blogger mehitabel said...

Looking at Lily's stitches, and at yours, I'd say you're both doing the same stitch. Lily's publishers are usually American so I'd bet that she was using American terminology. Which, when you think about it, is not as clear as the British--think about a "half-double" for instance! Ah well, as they say, two countries separated by a common language!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery