Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Polynesian Pop


Larry took me to Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach for my birthday dinner. I had never been to this particular Don's before. The place is a riot of tiki design, including the A-frame, tikis, Tapa cloth, nautical items and more. I was reminded of fancy dinners at The Luau in Beverly Hills as a kid.



I posted a few photos of Don's online while I was there. My friend, Barbara, reminded me that this building used to be Sam's Seafood at this location (1960-2006). Aha! I remember Sam's! We used to have dinner here after a day of sailing at Alamitos Bay in Long Beach when I was a youngster. Sooooo, I had been here before! Sam's became Don the Beachcomber in 2006. This particular building had a Polynesian design since being rebuilt in the early 1960's, but with a few less tiki statues. I remember a decidedly more seafaring decor, with lots of fish sculptures on the walls.
Founder, "Don Beachcomber" aka Ernest Raymond Beaumont Gantt 

Hidden Village Dining Room

We each had a tropical beverage with rum. Larry's was super potent. Mine was more minty and refreshing...similar to a Moscow Mule. Delicious.

We moved to the Hidden Village dining room and ordered dinner. The ginger, sesame green salad was divine. Larry order the seared Ahi, encrusted with citrus and sesame and I had the crispy duck in orange sauce with sesame udon noodles and vegies. Desert was a most delicious Hawaiian bread pudding with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. Really, the food was delicious.
Sesame and Ginger Green Salad

Seared Ahi

Crispy Duck

Hawaiian Bread Pudding


After dinner drink. Kinda' like a Mojito Slushie

We spent LOTS of time taking photos of the exterior and interior. 


It was a lovely evening. Thanks, Larry!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery