Friday, July 10, 2015

V*A*C*A*T*I*O*N


I always think of that Connie Francis song, "V-a-c-a-t-i-o-n" at this time of year. It's such a kicky, perky song!  Click on the link so you can listen!  Yippee! We're on vacation next week.
Two years ago we went to Hawaii.  Last year we went to New Orleans.  This year we'll be enjoying the tourist destination of LOS ANGELES! Yeah, buying a new car has put a crimp in my budget. It's a good thing I like being a tourist in my own town.
We have many planned field trips. Hopefully, we'll get to all of them. Here are a few of the highlighted adventures on our "travel" itinerary:
Someday is Now: The Art of Corita Kent at the Pasadena Museum of California Art. I remember when Sister Corita Kent was a teacher at Immaculate Heart College. I've always loved this type of pop art, using advertising images of the day and super bright colors to convey moral messages. 
Silk Screens by Corita Kent

The underground parking lot at this Pasadena museum is filled with murals and graffiti by Kenny Scharf. It is totally fab.
I've been to the Workman and Temple Family Homestead Museum several times, years ago, but Larry has never been. There is quite a bit of our California Rancho history here.


I've been wanting to see the exhibit "To Live and Dine in L.A." at the Downtown L.A. Public Library since it opened in June. Josh Kun wrote the accompanying book filled with old menus and other ephemera of Los Angeles restaurants. I've seen photos of the exhibition space and it looks very creative!

How cool is this book cover? Just like a fancy, vintage menu!

I do hope we have time to get down to Corona to go on the Fender Guitar Factory Tour. This is a place I've been wanting to visit for a long time. It could never be as cool as the Kamaka Ukulele Factory tour in Honolulu, but it should be entertaining. 
Fender solid bodies, ready for necking!
This exhibit will be at LACMA for awhile AND we do live down the street, so if we visit this week, great. If not, that's OK too.  The Noah Purifoy retropective, "Noah Purifoy: Junk Dada" should be excellent. We've visited his installations and studio in Joshua Tree several times. I wonder which pieces LACMA has decided to transport to L.A.? I hope to see some of his earlier, smaller work.
"Carousel" installation by Noah Purifoy, Purifoy Foundation

In-between all of these field trips there are a few restaurants I want to try, movies I want to see and projects I need to crochet!  Maybe I'll need another week off? See you around town!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:20 PM PDT, Blogger Brenda said...

I love a good staycation! I just started a new job, so I only have a whopping seven hours of vacation time to last me until July 1 of next year, but on my old job, I started the week with two lists---one of things I really wanted to do, and one of things I really did not want to do (like trim the hedges in front of the house or take my car in for an oil change). I tried to accomplish at least one thing from both lists every day. When the week was over, I felt like I had gotten allot of chores done and had some fun, too.

 
At 10:09 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

I admire you, Brenda. I'm chucking the chores list for only fun!! Thanks for the comment!

 
At 8:30 AM PDT, Blogger Lenora said...

I used to work at the Homestead Museum! Those Jazz Festival days were fun. A lot of stress before hand, but opening the gates for all the happy people made me happy.

 
At 7:57 PM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Excellent plans! Have a fun week, it sounds like you will.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery