Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Estate Sale Finds

Beverly Hills Women's Club

Larry and I visited two estate sales this weekend. Neither of us NEEDS anything! In the past, going to these sales was a great way to bolster our household collections. Now, we're trying to organize and divest ourselves of many items. Larry still collects records and the occasional light fixture or tool. I like to look at the purses, scarves and costume jewelry. I longingly look at dishes, serving utensils, kitchen items and such, but rarely buy them. Eventually, when we have our giant garage sale we should make a fortune with all the stuff we've accumulated over the years!
These days, I like to browse the sales, see the houses and take photos of items I would have bought.
Serving Items for Sale at BH Women's Club

First sale, Beverly Hills Women's Club on Saturday. My childhood friend, Diana is a member. I'd never been to this beautiful old clubhouse (built in 1925), so I wanted to take a look. There was an array of lovely serving dishes, silver, china and household decorative items for sale. It was an enticing display, but I really do not entertain using my own china and silver anymore. 


I didn't purchase anything except for a sweet faux tortoise shell flower pin.  It was great seeing the clubhouse and touring the grounds.  I'm glad that the sale was going well. The proceeds will benefit upkeep of the building. 
Faux Tortoise Shell Flower Pin

On Sunday, we stopped at a tiny home in Beverly Glen Canyon. Apparently, this was a vacation home for a woman who resided in Seattle.The house was packed with books and knick-knacks. There was lots of attractive hand-thrown pottery from the 1970's. 

Home in Beverly Glen Canyon

Vintage Gold-Veined Mirrors!

I browsed through the books and found two that were interesting to me. Peg Bracken's "The I Hate To Cook Cookbook" (1960) has always been a favorite. I have the paperback version. I remember seeing Peg on TV talk shows in the 1960s and '70s. She had this monotone, nasal voice and was highly entertaining. This is a first edition with charming illustrations by the very famous Hilary Knight!  HBO recently broadcast a documentary on the life and art of Hilary Knight.


The illustrations by Hilary Knight may look familiar. He illustrated all of the "Eloise" books


The next little cookbook I found was "Cyrano de Casserole: A Nosegay of Casserole Recipes" (1955) by Ruth Chier Rosen. I'd never seen this book. I do love the play on words in the title! It's a very small, spiral bound book with fascinating sections: Entertaining Casseroles, Old World Casseroles and more. 


For $4, I had a great time and came away with some treasures!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery