Friday, November 04, 2016

Warm Hats

Cold and Windy Port Townsend, WA

When Larry and I were visiting Leah and Nancy in Port Townsend, Washington last month, fall descended. This Southern California native got chilly when the wind started to blow in the Pacific Northwest! we had a chance to wear many of our knitted and crocheted items. As we traipsed around downtown Port Townsend, surveying different shops, I noticed that both Nancy and Leah kept trying on knit hats. They both said they should resume knitting so they could make winter hats for themselves.
Ellen with Nancy, trying on hats at Bazaar Girls Yarn Shop, Port Townsend

AHAH!  The perfect thank you gift! When we got home I searched my large yarn stash to find just the right yarns to crochet for Leah and Nancy. Nancy kept talking about her new burgundy boots, so I knew that burgundy would be the color for her hat. Leah wears blue a lot because it looks really good on her! I found the correct colors and started crocheting.
I made Leah the "Pom-Pom Topper" in Lion Brand Wool-Ease Heather yarn. I LOVE pom-poms. They're fun to make and really give a hat a festive look!
Leah's Pom-Pom Topper

The pattern is a basic top-down hat pattern, using front-post double crochet stitches to add interest.
Pom-Poms are easy to make with the Pom-Pom Maker!


Nancy's hat is a larger version of the Beehive Beanie. I used a bulky acrylic yarn in a reddish tones. For the spiral texture round, I found a solid burgundy acrylic yarn so that this hat would really look great with Nancy's burgundy boots!
Ellen, modeling Nancy's Beehive Beanie
I just LOVE that spiral!
I hope my friends wear their hats this fall and winter. I can't wait to see photos, modeling their new chapeaux!
NOTE:  You lose one-third of your body heat through the top of your head! Start crocheting and/or knitting that winter hat NOW!



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery