Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Mall-chitecture

Americana at Brand
The Lake, Americana at Brand, Glendale

This morning I drove out to Glendale to see Americana at Brand, developer Rick Caruso's mall patterned on The Grove in the Fairfax district. Wow! Americana is three times the size of The Grove, but the same in design. Caruso has constructed Main Street, USA, very similar to Main Street, Disneyland. There's a lake with a dancing waters fountain, kiosks selling food and specialty items, plenty of shops and lots of places to sit down. It's a city within a city. Many of the same stores are in Glendale....Anthropology, Pacific Theaters, Barnes & Noble and more. I did not see any department stores (The Grove has Nordstrom's). I also didn't see a Mac Store or a Crate and Barrel like The Grove has. I'm assuming that many of the larger chains are NOT at Americana, because the Glendale Galleria is right across the street with big chains like Macy's, Penney's and Target.
Americana at Brand
Trolley, Main St., Americana, Glendale

The architecture at Americana is lovely. You can even live there! There are apartments above the stores in the mall!

Mall architecture has come a long way in the past 40 years. Larry and I call it "mall-chitecture." There's a certain mini-mall look that's trying to be Spanish Mission Revival Style;
La Pico Plaza Strip Mall
Wanna' -be Mission Revival...looks just like The Alamo in Texas!

...another that's trying to be Regency Style
Regency Style Mall, Glendale
and then there's just plain ugly and really dated.
WstsdPav
Rick Caruso has improved the look of the SoCal mall immensely, even if many of the façades are fake. Hey! This is Hollywood, remember? Land of make-believe.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 5:05 PM PST, Blogger KnittingBlueContent said...

All this So. Cal. mall talk is making me nostalgic for my old H.S. stomping grounds:

The Sherman Oaks Galleria. Like, oh my gawd, fer sher!

I know it's been gone for a long time though. I'm officially "old" LOL!

 
At 7:36 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site sees. We have more of the Regency style here.. nothing fancy. In my town, they are hoping to build a new quaint shopping center resembling some sort of village-style. That should be interesting.

 
At 10:21 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at the Americana last Friday and wasn't too impressed. I had lunch with a friend at Frida and was really disappointed.

 
At 5:33 PM PST, Blogger Clementina said...

Just found your blog, and I must say that anyone whose blog features knitting and Mexican food has got to be absolutely FABULOSA.

 
At 12:54 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Sherman Oaks Galleria. Like, oh my gawd, fer sher!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery