Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Knit and Crochet

Black Cardigan, Aeron Chair

Spring is here. Summer approaches. In Los Angeles that means that we're in for some hot days. So, I thought I'd better move along on my black cardigan so I can at least wear it during cool evenings.

Black Cardigan, Shoulder Detail

I'm almost done! I steamed it a bit today so I could try it on for fit. I LOVE it...it fits beautifully! I added a ribbed collar with a garter stitch edge to the original design. I also decided to finish off most of sleeves in the same 2 x 2 rib as the button band and bottom edge. That way, I don't have to decrease for the sleeves as my arm narrows. Naturally, I didn't make buttonholes. I might just add some toggles with I-cord or even snaps. My friend, Heather added a zipper (Rav) for her closure to this same basic sweater recipe. I might do that...not sure yet.

Black Cardigan, Front Detail

I was talking to Mary Jo a few weeks ago about crocheting a grid and weaving yarn strands through that grid to achieve a plaid look. There was a Noro scarf pattern online that used this method with some self-striping sock yarn. I've made many colorful placemats and even an afghan using this method. I crocheted the placemats below awhile back, but tucked them away for a gift.
I threw them in the washer over the weekend (yes, they're made from practical acrylic). The ends frayed a bit, but I still like them. I offered to make Mary Jo some of these for her beautiful and colorful tiled kitchen. Here you go, M.J. These are for you! I'll bring them to the WeHo SnB this Thursday!

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 3:38 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a pattern for a plaid scarf in the Crochet Me book that used this effect. It's cute. I'll send it to you in Ravelry.

 
At 4:07 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Oooo the cardy looks so nice. I can't wait to take a gander at it live!

The place mats are totally fab! I am looking forward to checking those out too.

 
At 4:31 PM PDT, Blogger Sara said...

I love those place mats! I definitely need to see those and see if I can steal/borrow your idea.

 
At 6:47 PM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Fabulous cardi!

 
At 7:01 AM PDT, Blogger Beth McDermott Oliver said...

Oooh, Sweetie -

The cardigan is just gorgeous. Love all the details. I hope we get some more cold weather.

Plaid place mats? I'm a fool for plaid.

Beth

 
At 9:17 AM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Gorgeous cables! And in black tweed, no less. Great job, missy.

 
At 1:32 PM PDT, Blogger Heather Hoffman said...

Wow! Your cardigan is outstanding! Mine still has one sleeve. Will you be able to make it to Fairview Knitters this weekend? I want to see it on you.

 
At 7:14 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I DO love my aeron chair!!! Good work Ellen!

 
At 12:08 AM PDT, Anonymous amanda said...

Your black cardigan is lovely and beautifully neat too!

 
At 6:57 AM PDT, Blogger mj said...

I am crazy about the placemats!! Maybe I'll even get to take a photo of them in my kitchen this weekend...
Thanks, Ellen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery