Monday, October 11, 2010

Fig KnitOn


Yarn-Bombing on No. Figueroa St., Highland Park

We had a glorious turn-out at Future Studio for the Fig KnitOn on Saturday night. Future was just one of the galleries involved in the NELA Second Saturday Art Walk. I stayed at Future all evening, but I heard that many of the other galleries were crowded too. This is excellent! The northeast L.A. area has such a rich and vibrant art scene...it's nice to see it appreciated.

Bicycle Spinning Wheel Demo

When I arrived, I saw that the entire block of Figueroa was "yarn-bombed." There were knitted and/or crocheted cozies around parking meters, bus benches, news stands, electrical boxes and more. It was a perfect entree to the exhibit inside the Studio.

"Atkins on Bauer"
Plate, Egg, Parsley by Ellen Bloom, Bacon by Natalie Yamashita

There were many artists represented on Saturday and a variety of items in their yarny greatness. Check out the slide show below for the sidewalk art, work inside the Gallery and the many friends that had a marvy time! Click on the right side of the slide show to scroll thru the photos more quickly.


Thanks so much for coming to this great event!
More yarn-bombing slides here.

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 2:54 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I'm an awful person. I fully intended to go and I stayed at work too late. I really wanted to see Chicken Boy, too!

It looks like it was fun. I'm sorry I missed it.

 
At 5:27 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

How did I miss those dangly things?!?! All the time looking down, when I clearly should have been looking up. Ellen, thank you for getting me to the East Side. The last time I was there (I think) was for another exhibit you did, and I loved it then, too. I really need to go east more often!

 
At 8:30 PM PDT, Blogger Gretchen said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:31 PM PDT, Blogger Gretchen said...

Ellen, This is amazingly wonderful stuff!! The "Atkins on Bauer" - I love it! The bus shelter installation and street cozies everywhere...I am sorry I missed this - it is beau-ti-ful in New Orleans, tho -
xoxo

 
At 8:54 PM PDT, Blogger betty said...

That's some impressive yarnbombing! My favorite is the hexagon-granny-covered garbage can

 
At 6:53 AM PDT, Blogger The Blackwood Cottage said...

You gals are uber cool! How nice it would be to live near all of you and get the chance to participate!
machelle

 
At 9:24 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just have so much fun! I love the guy on the pole...too funny!

 
At 11:23 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen, thanks for the great nighttime pictures! Wish I could have made the reception, but this installation was so much fun to participate in.
~ Julie (did the garbage cans)

 
At 8:35 PM PDT, Anonymous Suzette said...

Hi Ellen. It was a fun show and great seeing you. Love the Ellen and Larry dolls.
Suzette

 
At 9:50 PM PDT, Blogger Glennis said...

Hilarious. I love the egg, parsley and bacon.

Were you really near Chicken Boy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery