Thursday, March 11, 2010

Blocking

I never realized how important wet-blocking is for knitted and crocheted items. In my impatient years, I would merely steam iron a garment to my liking. This works for acrylic yarn and some lightweight wools, but it's really best to soak a yarny garment in cool water overnight, pat it dry and then lay it out on a towel, pull it into the desired shape and wait for it to dry. If your garment is pure wool, this can take many days, especially in the winter, but it's so worth it!
A blocked garment is thin and pliable, hangs better than an unblocked garment and the stitch pattern is more visible if the garment is blocked.
I just finished a crocheted shawl using Wisdoms Yarns' Poem sock yarn in shades of olive greens, tans and browns. I'm a sucker for long color runs and lots of yardage in a sock yarn. There's 459 yards in one skein of this sock yarn. I was out in the Valley a few weeks ago and stopped by the Stitch Cafe. I was instantly hypnotized by this yarn. I used the Lionbrand pattern "Seashell Wrap" as my basis. After following the pattern for awhile, I switched to treble crochets, added in a few filet crochet rows and finished off with a picot edge. I used all 459 yards of the yarn and a size "H" hook. The shawl was the size of a wide scarf before blocking. After soaking it overnight, I stretched it out to shawl size. I can't wait for it to be dry! This is going to be one light and airy summer shawl!

This weekend's calendar, for me, consists of yarny groups galore!! I'll be at the WeHo SnB once-a-month Saturday meetup on Saturday morning, 10-noon at the Original Farmers Market, upstairs dining area. Saturday afternoon I'll be at the beautiful mid-century building, Fairview Branch Library in Santa Monica, 3:30-5pm with my Fairview Knitters. On Sunday, the "Sometimes Sunday" Crochet Ladies are coming over to my house for more yarny adventures!! Oh yes, I do lead an exciting life!

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 12:21 PM PST, Blogger susanc said...

Very pretty Ellen!

 
At 1:02 PM PST, Blogger Beth McDermott Oliver said...

This is beautiful! I didn't know that a garment should soak overnight - I've only been soaking them for about an hour or so. Oops.

 
At 3:39 PM PST, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Love this one, it's such a great yarn/stitch match up. You ought to write it up as a pattern.

 
At 7:37 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

This shawl really turned out gorgeous. Perfect for summer.

 
At 8:30 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen, I love thw shawl. It is so pretty and delicate.

 
At 10:53 AM PST, Blogger Marcela said...

Ellen, I think your shawl is wonderful. I love reading your blog, and find out what you are knitting/crocheting, what interesting places or events you've been to lately. It's a joy to read. I haven't seen you in a while, but perhaps I'll see you at one of the knitting events on the Westside. This is Marcela. We met at a craft fair in LACC some years ago and you took a picture of a crocheted cardigan I was wearing.

 
At 10:55 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Marcela! Thanks so much for the compliments! Of course I remember you! I still want to make that granny cardigan of yours, one day!
I'll be at Fairview Knitters this coming Saturday, 3:30-5pm. Maybe you can make it!

 
At 8:35 AM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

So very pretty!

I'm such a fool for blocking. It's transformative, but you do have to be patient. The waiting is the hardest part.

My friend at the yarn store, the one who recommended me for the job, wants me to lead a crochet-along with her. Because of my granny squares, people think I can really crochet! I'm scared, lol. I'll let you know how it goes.

 
At 11:44 AM PDT, Anonymous Twilight said...

Ooooh-so pretty! I've heard good things about that Wisdom yarn.

 
At 11:10 AM PDT, Blogger ChelleC said...

Okay, can I just aspire to BE you in terms of knitting/crocheting. Your projects are always amazing. This one is a star project - great colors. You take what appears to be a "blah" LB pattern and transform it into pure art.

 
At 11:33 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks so much for the compliments, Chelle! It's all about choosing fabulous yarn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery