Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Finally!

The Master Bedroom

Since moving into our new bedroom waaaaay last June, it's been a very long haul to get the finishing touches completed. It's still not perfect. I need to put up window coverings, paint the end tables and find better paintings for the walls, but at least it looks good now, not like we just moved in. We hung temporary paintings on the walls until we find the "perfect" pieces. I love it. I could stay in there all day and night. Now that I have my very own bathroom and a nice closet, my life is complete.
New Bathroom

In comparison, the rest of our house looks kinda' dowdy, especially the kitchen. After the expense of our bedroom addition, we cannot afford to gut the kitchen and start over, but at least we can do a cosmetic upgrade. A new floor, painting the walls and cabinets, cheery curtains and a little furniture re-arrangement will do wonders for the space.
Icky Old Kitchen

Now that we have a laundry room near our new bedroom, our current service porch has room for the refrigerator. THEN, I can get some sort of cabinet/counter-top next to the stove.
Service Porch, Ready for Paint!
That should free-up the shelves in the breakfast nook. I'd love to have a classic, vintage looking black and white kitchen....something like the photos below.
Dream Kitchens
Oooo.....a chandelier in the kitchen....classy!

It's all a dance of furniture choreography and we have lead feet! I haven't even mentioned that we have to paint the exterior of the house and build new front steps and walk-way! Yikes!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 1:08 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Know what? I *love* your old kitchen. Those cabinets with the mesh fronts and that style of tile (I'm guessing 1940s?) are among my favorites.

 
At 1:49 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Your kitchen sink is exactly like mine, except I have maroon where you have green. Otherwise, same yellow. My cabinets are also a maroonish-brown that is just gross. Thank God for a large window!

 
At 2:07 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think paint and a new floor (and maybe new cabinet pulls) will make a huge difference. I promise. Thane and I did that before we could afford the kitchen tear-out, and it bought us another decade!

 
At 2:08 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Don't worry, Marielle (janeray), the cabinets are not changing. We're just going to paint the place and change the flooring. I have NO counterspace though, so that's why we're moving the fridge into the back porch and adding a counter with storage next to the stove.

I HATE the tile. It's not that great...the color is yucky, it's chipped and old. I'm contemplating covering it up with something...not sure what. I'll keep it all vintage-y though.

 
At 4:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Joan Murray said...

I was watching one of those home improvement shows, and they replaced a faucet like your kitchen sink's (because it was literally falling apart) and the new faucet went straight into the old plumbing, they didn't have to tear the wall up (and then patch). Even replacing the tile counter and backsplash might be worth it, can look very vintage if done correctly. Repair, just keep it looking authentic. Yeah.

 
At 6:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lisa R-R said...

I also really love B&W in kitchens and bathrooms.
I like the dream kitchen where the tiles are reflected in the metal trash can - great idea!
thanks for sharing the photos.

 
At 1:55 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

*SO* jealous. I especially love your bedspread/shams.

 
At 2:10 PM PDT, Blogger justclaire said...

Great pics of the finally finished bedroom/bathroom Ellen. It all looks amazing!

I reckon with a lick of paint and your artistic touch, your kitchen will soon look exactly how you want it to!

 
At 9:28 PM PDT, Blogger ms. newbill said...

Ellen, we really do have the same dreary kitchen. I feel your pain!

 
At 10:52 AM PDT, Anonymous Twilight said...

That bedspread is lovely, the pillows too.

 
At 6:21 PM PDT, Blogger Brenda said...

Love your renovation!
With old houses like ours, there's always something isn't there?
We need exterior painting, a new roof, kitchen appliances, etc.

 
At 11:42 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Love your new duvet cover. tres chic.

You have a fab house with tons of character, but I love your dream kitchens. All in good time. Home ownership...a continual process of renovation and upkeep. Blech.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery