Thursday, July 28, 2016

One Last Grand Celebration

I'm so looking forwarding to having lunch with my girlfriends (Natalie, Darcy and Brit) this coming Saturday. We will miss Mary Jo. She's traveling the world again!
After ukulele workshop, Natalie and I will meet Darcy and Brit at a lovely French bistro in Culver City. After our luncheon, we will move the party to Larry's (and my) house for cake and prezzies. Larry is hosting this portion of the party. We are having my childhood FAVORITE cake, Blum's Coffee Crunch Cake! I'm more of a savory and salty person. I like sweets, but would really rather have a good piece of fresh bread and butter! HOWEVER, Blum's Coffee Crunch Cake makes me swoon and I usually don't even like anything coffee-flavored! Valerie's Confections in Echo Park has recreated this recipe. Bless Valerie!
A gigantic bank building stands on the Blum's corner now

I tasted a piece of this divine cake last month at the Grand Central Market, DTLA. It was just as delicious as I remembered. In addition to her Echo Park shop, Valerie has a booth downtown at the GCM.
The Blum's Restaurant of my childhood was on the south-east corner of Beverly Drive and Wilshire, Beverly Hills. I really don't remember having a meal there, even though they were known for their sandwiches and salads. We used to go there specifically for dessert. I remember ordering a hot fudge sundae topped with honeycomb pieces and whipped cream! For fancy occasions, we'd order the Blum's Coffee Crunch Cake. You can see an interesting thread about the history of this cake here
Blum's Coffee Crunch Cake by Valerie's Confections

The interior of Blum's Beverly Hills was very deluxe. It was all cushy pink booths, gold and white swirly wall coverings and plush carpet. It was very close to the Beverly Drive Hamburger Hamlet. Maybe we had burgers at the Hamlet and THEN walked up to Blum's for dessert. Those were the days!
1959. Grand Opening of Blum's Beverly Hills. Actress Mona Freeman with Robert Beattie, president of Blum's BH. Herald Examiner, USC Archives Collection
See you Saturday, my Sweeties!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 1:29 AM PDT, Blogger Merna said...

Wow, I remember that cake! When I was a freshman at UCLA, one of my friends and I walked to Westwood Village if we had the same break from class, just to go to Blum's. You're right -- those were the days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery