Friday, August 17, 2007

Summer Schedule

Hollywood Bowl, 1958, Los Angeles Examiner
There are so many things to do in Los Angeles in the summer. Of course, half of the population of the entire United States is visiting L.A. right now. Argh. Traffic is worse than usual. Every public space is crammed with tourists. I don't want to be negative. I understand that my fair City is a popular tourist destination. If you really want to see L.A. at it's best, come back in the fall or the spring. It's not so hot, the crowds are bearable and you can get into local attractions without standing in long lines.

Case in point: I was at my weekly WeHo SnB meeting last night at the Original Farmers Market. The F. Mkt. is a major tourist attraction. I could not park in any of the surrounding parking lots. I had to park far away in a forbidden and hidden place. Once I hiked over to the F. Mkt., most of the food stalls were really busy. Eventually, I managed to get dinner and meet with my fellow crafters, but it was a challenge.

We've been invited to another L.A. attraction this evening....The Hollywood Bowl. Jeff and Audrey have invited us to see Diana Krall. I have many of her albums, so I'm excited to see her in person! J & A have box seats AND a platinum parking pass! Woo Hoo. We haven't been to the Bowl in over ten years because of the crowds and bad parking. With fancy seats, parking and excellent music, tonight should be fun! I'm bringing the picnic dinner....photos later.

There are tons of events in L.A. this weekend. The Fabulous Fiber Fest starts today at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. I may pop over mid-day Saturday or Sunday. My cousin, Amie (jewelry creator extraordinaire), is participating in the Kenneth Village Arts and Crafts Festival in Glendale on Saturday from 3-9pm. The Barnsdale Art Market is an ongoing art festival, starting this Sunday at Barnsdale Park in East Hollywood, organized by my friend Julie. Of course, the Sunset Junction Street Festival is also scheduled for this weekend. They offer, food booths, crafts, lots of independent music, rides for the kids and the entire community parading up and down the street. We also have a b-day party in Atwater on Saturday night that I know will be fun-filled.

Maybe I'll see you at one of these fun events this weekend!!!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 12:38 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Tofu Festival is this weekend, too! There is no physical way I'm going to be able to do everything I want to do this weekend... but the flip side is, having so many great (CHEAP) events makes me feel so lucky to live in LA!

Oh, I suppose the Fiber Fest is only cheap if you don't count all the stuff that I'd buy once I get past the admission. ;)

 
At 12:42 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

OMG! Mary-Heather! Thanks for reminding me about the Tofu Festival in Little Tokyo. It's always a wonderful time (and taste). For more info:
www.tofufest.org

 
At 1:06 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Wow. That list is a little overwhelming. Heck, it's A LOT overwhelming. I may just have to stay in bed.. . .

except. . . I really wanna see llama llama llama DUCKs, and the FF website shows them, so I'm thinking I might haul my arse out and deal with the INSANE traffic (I *know* of which you speak!!!).

Congrats on the Diana Krall tix. I don't have any albums, but I really like what I've heard.

 
At 3:51 PM PDT, Blogger mary said...

Oh the bowl! I miss it; it's been years since I've been and I need to get there soon. You are like our personal weekend cruise director! Woo hoo!

 
At 2:10 PM PDT, Blogger mj said...

Sorry I missed SnB last week. I worked late and then crashed at Alyson's house. The Hollywood Bowl is a great place to go on a summer night, but I always take the bus. Talk about crazy parking!! Have a blast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery