Saturday, August 18, 2007

Fiber Fest 2007

After doing a few errands this morning, I made my way over to the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium for Fabulous Fiber Fest 2007. I arrived at 12:30 and there was plenty of street parking (parking meters...less expensive that the SM Civic Parking Lot).
If you're only interested in yarn, knitting and crocheting, this festival is NOT for you. However, if you'd like a taste of quilting, spinning, weaving, lace-making along with booths full of accessories (buttons, beads, trim, etc.), then you've come to the right place.
I managed to find the few yarn sellers and purchased a few skeins.....some 100% superfine merino fingering wool in a gorgeous colorway of browns, 1,750 yards for only $29, from Lisa Souza Knitwear and Dyeworks. I also purchased some lovely Malabrigo wool, kettle dyed in a cinnabar color from Blue Moon Spinning of San Francisco, 215 yards @ $10 per skein! The Malabrigo will blend nicely with some of the yarn I received for my birthday. I figure, as long as you stick with oranges, you can't go wrong!
Anyway, I saw the organizer of the event, Mariko and free-form expert and fellow SnBr, Kim of Playa del Rey. Myra Woods was there teaching a class. There were all sorts of demonstrations going on....weaving, spinning, quilting, beadwork, etc. This is a small festival, but chock full of good stuff.
Highlight of the day: Llamas and angora bunnies just outside the entrance!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 4:47 PM PDT, Blogger mehitabel said...

Thanks for the review, Ellen! Makes me feel better about staying home today, thus not adding to the traffic congestion, after all I really don't need to enhance ANY of my stashes right about now. Yarn, quilting fabric, beads, buttons--they're all in a nice topped-up state!

 
At 5:31 PM PDT, Blogger Merna said...

Nice review, Ellen. I agree completely. The most fun was running into people I haven't seen for a while.

This was the first time I attended, not enough there to make me return next year (and I'm a Westsider). I too, bought a skein from Lisa, but that's all.

 
At 8:45 PM PDT, Blogger Pam said...

Sounds like fun! Love the slide show!

 
At 1:10 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Bunnies! Fuzzy bunnies!

Thanks for the recap. I love the Slide Show thingiemabobbie.

 
At 4:30 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pssst, I think those llamas might be alpacas. And the fuzzy animals are chinchillas, I think.

I should have tried harder to find street parking, but I had Little Miss in her stroller, so maybe convenience was worth the price.

I was very nearly sucked into the spinning world at the Carolina Homespun booth, but I ended up with just some sock yarn.p

 
At 12:56 PM PDT, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

Thanks Ellen for the reminder and the great review. I went on Sunday and had a great time!

 
At 10:28 AM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I completely concur. I went Sunday (FREE meter parking!) and really enjoyed it. It was nice to go to a "fair" without being completely overwhelmed by crowds. Unfortunately, a very nice woman showed me this new thing - "WEAVING" - and I think I may have a new hobby brewing... Then again, I was sorely tempted to stock up on my quilt fabric stash, even tho I don't sew.

The angora rabbit direct-to-yarn spinning was amazing. And of course, the alpaca were supa cute. (The chinchillas kinda skeered me with their rat-like teeth.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery