Monday, August 08, 2016

Bittersweet Estate Sale

There was a line to enter this power couple's estate sale. Beverly Hills

ALL estate sales are bittersweet. Sometimes people are just downsizing, usually, someone has passed away. Once in awhile we know the people. On Sunday we attended the estate sale of Rabbi Jacob Pressman and his wife, Rebbetzin Marjorie Pressman.  Rabbi Jack (as we called him) passed away late last year. Six months later, Margie was gone. Rabbi Pressman served our community for over 35 years at Temple Beth Am. He officiated at our family's weddings, Bar Mitzvahs and funerals. My grandfather, Samuel J. Katz, was a member of the Olympic Jewish Center in the 1930s. When Rabbi Pressman took over in 1950, the OJC eventually became Temple Beth Am, one of the largest conservative Jewish congregations in Los Angeles. My Grandfather held Rabbi Pressman in high regard. Sam served the Temple in many ways and for years was Chairman of the Annual Passover Seder.
My first wedding, 1974 with Rabbi Pressman, officiating

Margie, in addition to being instrumental as Jack's partner in leadership at Temple Beth Am was a local Mom, active in our school activities. Everyone in BH knew Marge Pressman! The Pressmans were ill in their later years, but both had long, dynamic lives and made quite an impact on this town.
Marge and Jack Pressman

I grew up with the Pressman children. I was friends with their son, Joel during our camp counselor gigs at Idyllwild School of Music and the Arts. We shared a love of our home town and all things musical. We lost touch over the years, but would meet up from time to time at various events in L.A. and in Idyllwild. Sadly, Joel succumbed to cancer in 2013.Yes, for me, the estate sale at the Pressman's condo in Beverly Hills was tinged with sadness. It's the end of an era. I'd visited the Pressman's home on Palm Drive in the '70's. They down-sized to the condo, right across the street from Beverly High, in later years. The condo was large and very nice. I usually judge a place by the kitchen. Margie's kitchen was galley-style with plenty of storage and all the top appliances.
Lots of Judaica for sale!
Isn't this the coolest menorah?

Really, I wasn't looking for anything to buy, just a remembrance of this power couple. I found a few boxes of vintage slides that may prove to be interesting, along with a nice Seder plate and a needlepoint that Margie probably completed, but never framed. I might make a little pillow or use it for the front of a handbag. Sigh.
Funny!  By famous cartoonist, Mell Lazarus!
I rather love this colorful portrait of Rabbi Jack!

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 6:35 PM PDT, Blogger Kathe90210 said...

Thanks, Ellen. Great post written with much love and compassion. Kathe

 
At 7:39 PM PDT, Blogger JSP said...

Very special to read what you wrote. I'm glad you got some things that are meaningful. By the way, that "Colorful portrait" was a work of art done by the children from Pressman Academy ... I thought someone from the family had said they would take that - I hope it goes to someone it will mean something to. Take care, Judy Pressman

 
At 10:23 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for your sweet comment, Kathe!

 
At 10:28 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks so much for your comments, Judy. I'm so sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences to you and your family. You may want to ask Danny about that portrait of your Dad by the children at the Pressman Academy. If the estate sale people still have it, it would look great hanging in the hallway at the school! Best, Ellen B

 
At 11:24 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Judy! I rescued the portrait of your Dad. I stopped by the condo today. Danny and Aviva were there. They gave me the portrait. I will do my best to contact people at the Pressman Academy and hope they have a place for this special piece.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery