Thursday, August 04, 2016

The Graying of L.A.

I like the color gray. Since my brown hair turned gray, I've become an advocate for silvery tones. This includes gray house paint too! Larry painted our living and dining room a medium gray with white trim last year. I love the results. It's a cool and calm environment and very livable.
Our Living Room

I've noticed many homes in Los Angeles are being painted gray. This is nothing new, light gray with white or black trim has always been popular, but now I'm seeing homes painted a much darker gray. Is this wise in super sunny Los Angeles?  An almost black exterior would seem to absorb the heat. There's a duplex up the block from us that is such a dark tone of gray, that it's almost black. To add to the heat, they took out the lawn and replaced it with sand and stones.  More succulents in front, please!
Dark Gray Duplex, Mid-City
I've always liked gray tones for design. This isn't such a big change from the taupe, beige, cappuccino craze of 10 years ago. Both colors are neutrals and look great with contrasting trim and luscious gardens. The taupe-y colors were usually warmer than the grays. Maybe global warming has something to do with the switch.
Here are a few more homes, grand and modest that I've seen painted a darker shade of gray around Los Angeles:
Miracle Mile Apartment
West Adams Craftsman-Style
Santa Monica Post-War Bungalow
Mid-City  Bungalow
Remodeled Shotgun House, East Hollywood
Dunn-Edwards, Mr. Larry's preferred paint company, has a dizzying array of gray tones available for your someday gray transformation!
Some of Dunn-Edwards gray paint selections


Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 7:35 AM PDT, Blogger janeray1940 said...

LOVE your interior paint. Gray/grey is probably my favorite color, followed by red, and I love that grey exterior with red door color scheme that keeps popping up everywhere, even though I read somewhere that it's a sure sign of a house-flipper when you see a place get that transformation :)

 
At 7:52 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks, Marielle. The gray is very calming. I'm not so sure about house-flippers. Many of my neighbors have used the same color scheme to freshen up their exteriors. Personally, I prefer an ORANGE door over the red color!

 
At 10:09 AM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

I've been into warm grey with a pop of color, too, lately---interesting comment about the house flipping. I like a pop of turquoise or blue but it has to be just the right shade.

 
At 1:52 PM PDT, Blogger Brenda said...

My house is a 1970's split foyer, and I had it sided about four years ago. I choose a pale gray color with white trim & shutters. I painted the doors "Betsy Ross Blue," which is a bright turquoise. The house was originally a dark slate blue---I feel very fashionable, indeed!

 
At 2:23 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Ooooo, Brenda! Your house colors sound wonderful! You are very stylish, indeed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery