Tuesday, March 16, 2010

4.4 @ 4-ish

January 1994, Hollywood Building Damaged by Northridge Earthquake,
Photo by Cary Moore

We were rudely awoken this morning at 4:04 a.m. by a 4.4 earthquake centered east of Los Angeles in Pico Rivera. You can read a bit about it here and here.
We were asleep in the new portion of our home, built on a solid block of thick concrete. I didn't FEEL the quake as much as I HEARD it. In the older portion of our house I heard dishes shake and Venetian blinds rattle. I'm a fairly light sleeper, so these types of sounds wake me up. Of course I couldn't get back to sleep after that. I tossed and turned for a couple of hours and then finally got out of bed.

A policeman examines cars covered with debris from damaged brick buildings fallen during the March 10, 1933 earthquake in Long Beach, LAPL Archives

This is an excellent time to check your earthquake supplies. We have been hard-hit in Los Angeles. I've lived through several earthquakes. We're never ready. You really can't predict earthquakes exept that they will eventually happen. Argh! I still love my City and would never leave.

The change to daylight savings time, the early morning earthquake...all of this has made me quite cranky today. Steer clear!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 11:28 AM PDT, Blogger mehitabel said...

Those two factors--DST and a 4.4 at 4:04--added to the 85+ degree heat make me think that Mom Nature is out to get me! Just when I was beginning to think I might finally adjust to living out here, she has to remind me of what I dislike!

 
At 11:35 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Marie!

My theory: It's the "shake 'n bake" syndrome. When the weather has been coldish and then suddenly hot, the earth contracts and expands...hence, earthquake!

Stay cool and steady, Marie!!!

eb

 
At 11:40 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Didn't feel a thing over at our house.

 
At 12:16 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazingly I slept through this one although a friend staying with us did feel it. (She has insomnia and misses little at night.)

I think you're right about the shake-n-bake thing. That may be what people call earthquake weather.

 
At 3:04 PM PDT, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

I like the shake and bake theory! I just don't know how people sleep thru these?? Certainly not me....

 
At 4:42 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate Hutton at Caltech says all weather is earthquake weather. We just don't notice them because they usually are not near populated areas.

Surprisingly I heard it, yelled at it, heart palpitated briefly, then I went right back to sleep. That's a first for me!!

Glad everyone is OK.

Christine G.

 
At 6:04 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad it was a mild one and no one was hurt. We had a very mild earthquake in Viginia when we were living there. I was out walking and didn't feel it. My husband was in the house and said his desk started moving. Stay safe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery