Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Building Blocks to Fashion

Granny Goes to School

Once again, I am validated in my belief that "granny squares are the building blocks to fashion." While stopped at a signal in Santa Monica on my way to work this morning, I spied a couple walking their youngster to school. The lady was wearing a magnificent granny square coat! I did everything but jump out of my moving vehicle to snap a photo with my ever-ready digi-cam. I was 4 cars back, so sorry for the fuzzy photos!
This proves that there are hip people on the West side of town! Not all the hipness in L.A. has slid over to Los Feliz, Silver Lake and Echo Park. So there! It's a good thing that I live in the middle of the City. That way I have a chance to see it all!

Photos by Santa Monica born, Ellen Bloom

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At 11:56 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ellen!

My Grandma made me a coat like that when I was a little girl! You never know what's going to come back in style.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 1:01 PM PDT, Blogger Kyle William said...

now you can add papparazzi to your list of titles! (I can't spell it but you know what I mean)

:)

 
At 1:14 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yowza!!! What a coat. I can't believe you didn't jump out of your car. I think I would have fainted; this coat is spectacular.

Christine G.

 
At 1:20 PM PDT, Blogger justclaire said...

Awesome!

 
At 2:43 PM PDT, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Dudette, that is awesome...although, it would have been a sight to see had you been chasing her down the street with your camera. LOL

 
At 4:54 PM PDT, Blogger WineGrrl said...

Et Voila! You have your next design idea!

I do know you will wear nicer shoes with your ensemble.

 
At 10:22 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Ellen you are now officially granny square stalk-a-razzi! I love it! Now when are you going to make one?

 
At 9:37 PM PDT, Blogger Stephknits3 said...

It is fantastic! No wonder you chased her! :)

 
At 10:52 PM PDT, Blogger Viva Scrapper! said...

DUDE!!! I didn't even have to read the post...the title alone made me go "OOOOH I'll bet it's granny squares!" I bought some susan bates crochet hooks and I'm gonna learn to granny square darn it!

 
At 10:57 PM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

I love the candid shots. Hilarious! (And I think I want that coat.)

 
At 12:58 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Wow. The dress, the coat, even the clogs...this gal has it going on.

Hee. Forget Joan Rivers, you should totally be doing the LA fashion report!

 
At 9:26 AM PDT, Blogger Two-of-Six said...

It only took me 23 days but I finally tracked down the source of that coat! :) I knew that I recognized it from awhile ago. Here are a couple of pics. http://xa2.xanga.com/79985236c6610196309894/t70166741.jpg

http://x85.xanga.com/8e98535603ca0196309886/t70166736.jpg

Hopefully, the links work but anyway it was sold in the Lucky Brand Stores around December 2006 for $298.00!

 
At 9:34 AM PDT, Blogger Two-of-Six said...

Okay, looks like the links aren't going to work. If you pm me on Ravelry, I can pm you the original catalog pics. Ravelry name: Luv2stitch

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery